Top Trending PHP Repositories on GitHub September 2018
A quick over view on the top trending PHP Repositories, what the GitHub community is most excited about last month.
We have seen that even a small project or a package which support a framework like laravel could generate surprisingly large volume of code and also geneate lot of attention from the developers. As Microsoft (acquisition in progress) takes over Github, is there any change in the way community users utilise GitHub.
On the Top Trending list we have:
- laravel / laravel
- thecodingmachine / safe
- antonioribeiro / health
- composer / composer
- fzaninotto / Faker
- symfony / panther
- duckchat / gaga
- Seldaek / monolog
- sebastianbergmann / phpunit
- guzzle / guzzle
- briannesbitt / Carbon
- symfony / symfony
- doctrine / inflector
- z-song / laravel-admin
- ramsey / uuid
The Trending list goes on and the most important aspect we can see is that most Repositories or project listed our are being used in Laravel.
A breif description on the trending repositories on GitHub
1. laravel / laravel - A PHP framework for web artisans
As Laravel 5.7 released on September 4th, 2018 with new features and update, Laravel keep up with first position in the top trending list. Laravel is a web application framework with expressive, elegant syntax. Laravel attempts to take the pain out of development by easing common tasks used in the majority of web projects, such as :
- Simple, fast routing engine.
- Powerful dependency injection container.
- Multiple back-ends for session and cache storage.
- Expressive, intuitive database ORM.
- Database agnostic schema migrations.
- Robust background job processing.
- Real-time event broadcasting.
Laravel is accessible, yet powerful, providing tools needed for large, robust applications. Laravel project has got 871 stars in September 2018 with over all 46,052 starts.
2. thecodingmachine / safe - All PHP functions, rewritten to throw exceptions instead of returning false
Safe-PHP redeclares all core PHP functions. The new PHP functions are acting exactly as the old ones, except they are throwing exceptions properly when an error is encountered. The "safe" functions have the same name as the core PHP functions, except they are in the Safe namespace.
use function Safe\file_get_contents;
use function Safe\json_decode;
// This code is both safe and simple!
$content = file_get_contents('foobar.json');
$foobar = json_decode($content);
3. antonioribeiro / health - Laravel Health Panel
This project is a Laravel Server & App Health Monitor and Notifier. This package checks if the application resources are running as they should and creates a service status panel. This repository help developers to a great extend as it has pre-configured resource checkers for the following services like
AppKey, Broadcasting, Cache, Database, DirectoryPermissions, DiskSpace, Horizon, Mail, MySql, NginxServer, Supervisor and the list goes on.
4. composer / composer - Dependency Manager for PHP
Composer is an application-level package manager that provides a standard format for managing dependencies of PHP software and required libraries, helps you declare, manage, and install dependencies of PHP projects. Composer has got 527 stars in Septemeber 2018.
5. fzaninotto / Faker - Faker is a PHP library that generates fake data for you
Faker comes to fifth position with 497 stars in the trending list. Faker is a PHP library that generates fake data for you. Whether you need to bootstrap your database, create good-looking XML documents, fill-in your persistence to stress test it, or anonymize data taken from a production service, Faker is the best package for you. Faker is widely used in Laravel as to generate random sample date for the initial project setup.
6. symfony / panther - A browser testing and web crawling library for PHP and Symfony
Panther is a browser testing and web scraping library for PHP and Symfony. It is a convenient standalone library to scrape websites and to run end-to-end tests using real browsers.
Panther is super powerful and leverages the W3C's WebDriver protocol to drive native web browsers such as Google Chrome and Firefox.
Panther is very easy to use, because it implements Symfony's popular BrowserKit and DomCrawler APIs, and contains all features you need to test your apps. It will sound familiar if you have ever created a functional test for a Symfony app: as the API is exactly the same! Keep in mind that Panther can be used in every PHP project, as it is a standalone library.
7. duckchat / gaga - A secure private chat software
DuckChat is a proprietary chat system solution that needs to be deployed on the user's own server, so that data, business, customization, and complete control of the site belong to the user. With the DuckChat social browser, you can get a great user experience on iOS and Android.
8. Seldaek / monolog - Logging for PHP
Monolog sends your logs to files, sockets, inboxes, databases and various web services. See the complete list of handlers below. Special handlers allow you to build advanced logging strategies.
9. sebastianbergmann / phpunit - The PHP Unit Testing framework.
PHPUnit is a programmer-oriented testing framework for PHP. It is an instance of the xUnit architecture for unit testing frameworks.
10. guzzle / guzzle - Guzzle, an extensible PHP HTTP client
Guzzle is a PHP HTTP client that makes it easy to send HTTP requests and trivial to integrate with web services.
11. briannesbitt / Carbon - A simple PHP API extension for DateTime.
12. symfony / symfony - The Symfony PHP framework
13. doctrine / inflector - Doctrine Inflector is a small library that can perform string manipulations with regard to uppercase/lowercase and singular/plural forms of words.
14. z-song / laravel-admin - Build a full-featured administrative interface in ten minutes
15. ramsey / uuid - A PHP library for generating RFC 4122 version 1, 3, 4, and 5 universally unique identifiers (UUID).